Aromatherapy is a holistic healing treatment that uses aromatic essential oils to improve the health of your body, mind, and spirit. Scents are able to bypass our logical mind and connect with our memories and experiences.
Essential oils are extracted from the fruit, leaf, flowers and bark of different plants. When you peel an orange and spray yourself with oil from the peel – that’s essential oil!
Some people describe it as the heart and soul of the plant, the life force and the essential energy of the plant. I’m guessing that’s why they are called “essential oils”.
Aromatherapy is one of the very first holistic therapies I studied and I have continued to integrate it with every new therapy I have learned because it is so effective and enjoyable.
How do essential oils work?
There are two main ways that essential oils are effective in improving your physical and mental wellbeing:
In oils and cream: When applied to your skin, the plant chemicals are absorbed and enter your bloodstream and can assist in benefitting body systems and organs. When essential oils are used with massage, absorption is increased due to increased circulation in that area of the body.
Inhalation: The effect of smell has a powerful influence on the central nervous system, influencing your mood and breathing, lowering stress and blood pressure. Inhaling the aromas from essential oils can stimulate areas of your limbic system, the part of your brain that is involved with storing and processing emotions, behaviours, long-term memory and sense of smell.
The link between smell and memory is strong and smells can often trigger specific memories and emotions.
Essential oils in massage
I create a personalised selection of essential oils into the massage oil I use for you based on what you tell me at the beginning of the treatment.
- If you’re feeling down, I’ll choose some uplifting oils to boost your mood
- If your body is cold and your circulation is low, I’ll choose some oils to warm you up
- If you’re dealing with hormonal imbalance, I’ll choose oils to help balance your hormones
- If tight muscles are causing pain and restriction, I’ll choose oils to relax them and reduce the pain and tension
Essential oils and touch are a powerful combination. I have found adding essential oils in my treatments an easy way to improve the therapeutic benefits of massage and reflexology.
Some of my favourite essential oils and their benefits:
- Peppermint has a refreshing and uplifting scent that is perfect when you need a boost. It helps improve concentration and memory and is great for stomach upsets.
- Lavender is relaxing, calming and a great oil to use any time you need to unwind or just before you go to sleep. Useful if you have a headache or muscle pain, PMS or period pain.
- Ylang-Ylang has an intense scent that is calming and reduces anxiety, depression and feelings of anger and frustration. Highly recommended to use for treating PMS especially if you suffer from mood swings just before your period arrives.
- Frankincense is an excellent oil for reducing anxiety, stress and nervous conditions, it helps you take a slow deep breath and relax…… Use it when meditating or you’re feeling irritable, restless and finding it hard to sleep.
- Lemon: I love all the citrus oils as they are happy oils that improve our mood and bring a fresh, lively scent to any blend. Lemon improves circulation, stimulates your immune system and lifts your spirits.
- Eucalyptus is best known as the oil to use if you have a cough or cold but it’s also useful for treating headaches and muscle pains. As an Australian, it reminds me of my childhood home :-).
I’m a holistic therapist and I am here to help you!
I treat women with abdominal and womb massage techniques known as Sobada (formally the Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Massage) and reflexology.
I’m also an Advanced EFT Tapping practitioner and I work with women in particular issues around anxiety, depression, stress levels.
I teach Fertility Awareness to help women better know their bodies and improve their chances of conceiving or prevent pregnancy naturally.
I live in Modi’in, Israel and that’s where I spend my days helping women during their fertile years, pregnancy, menopause and other hormonal conditions. Bodywork sessions (massage and reflexology take place in my clinic in Modi’in but EFT Tapping sessions and Fertility Awareness education can take place online or in person).
Learn more about working with me here.